Glasgow BOTOX® Anti Wrinkle Muscle Relaxing Injections
This is a common aesthetic procedure, safe, efficient and affordable to achieve anti-ageing effects. This is commonly known as Botox® because it is one of the oldest Brand available for use. The name Botox® was derived from the first letters of the two words of the compound used: Botulinum Toxin
What is Botulinum Toxin Type A?
Botulinum Toxin Type A (different brands available) is a bacterial toxin that temporarily and reversibly paralyses muscles. It is used in facial aesthetics procedures with the aim of significantly reducing skin creasing and thus diminishing/improving the visual effect of facial wrinkles. It is not a skin treatment.
How does Botox® work?
Wrinkling of the face is in part due to the action of the muscles underneath the skin, which pull and push the skin into wrinkles such as “frown lines”, “crow’s feet”, “forehead lines” and so forth. By temporarily paralysing these muscles, the face is given a pleasant, more relaxed and youthful, appearance.
Note: Static wrinkles that are a result of skin thinning will be not be removed by treatment with botulinum toxin. Subjects should seek alternative treatment for the management of such wrinkles.
How fast and how long does the effect of Botox® Glasgow last?
The effects of injection with botulinum toxin are usually visible within 48-72 hours. The maximum effects of treatment will be visible within 1-2 weeks and generally last from 2-6 months, depending on the age of the patient, their skin and muscle tone, and their previous usage of botulinum toxin.
Can I have treatment with botulinum toxin more than once?
Yes – once the effects of treatment have diminished, or if the effects of treatment need to be enhanced, re-treatment with botulinum toxin is safe.
Any Before and after care I should observe?
For 1 week prior to treatment, omit:
- Fish oils
- Gingko Biloba
Patient Instructions Following Treatment
- DO NOT touch or rub the treated areas for 3-4 hours
- DO NOT exercise on the day of the treatment
- DO NOT apply make up to the treated areas for 3-4 hours
- DO NOT use a sunbed for 7 days following treatment
- DO NOT undertake facial massage, chemical skin peels or laser resurfacing for 7 days
- DO NOT take aspirin for 48 hours. This will reduce the chance of bruising
- DO NOT lie down, (i.e. remain upright for 3-4 hours.)
What are the possible side effects and complications of Botox® Injections Glasgow?
Botulinum toxin is medically safe and an effective treatment. However, as with all medical treatments, side effects and complications may occur. These are mostly reversible and short lived, but can include the following;
- Mild swelling, bruising or redness at the site of the injection. (This typically subsides within 48 hours. Temporary blurred vision as a result of paralysis of certain muscles.)
- Eye dryness
- Watering of the eyes
- Dry mouth
- Slight nausea
- Itchy skin or skin rash
- RARE: Facial asymmetry (difference in appearance of each side of the face) as a result of over or under correction
- RARE: Allergic reaction to the botulinum toxin, but it is rare