Pelvic Floor Ageing & Repair
The Pelvic floor is the forgotten part of a woman’s body, that results in problems in a significant number of women and sometimes men too. These symptoms are best referred to as pelvic floor dysfunction. Pelvic floor dysfunction includes:
- Bowel problems
- Urine Problems
- Sexual dissatisfaction
Pelvic Dysfunction Treatment Glasgow
The extreme form of pelvic dysfunction will present itself with Prolapse this can be womb prolapse, Vaginal walls prolapse or rectal prolapse. Our aim is to interfere at early stages to stop the prolapse stages from happening.
Pelvic floor dysfunction can be present in women and men. Women are more sensitive to pelvic floor dysfunction for the following reasons:
- The presence of birth canal (vagina)
- Pregnancy increases pressure on pelvis
- Delivery will result in stretching the pelvic floor muscles and sometime tears (visible or not)
Pelvic Dysfunction Symptoms
There are many symptoms of Pelvic Dysfunction and here at Clinica Medica we can help treat with a range of treatments available.
Pain is the most common symptoms in both women and men. 11% of men and 12 % of women suffer from one form or another of pelvic pain. Almost 10% of Gynaecology consultation is to do with pelvic pain. Pain can manifest in the following form
- Pelvic Pain
- Pain during opening bowel
- Pain during passing water
- Pain during intercourse
- Genital area pain
- Tail bone pain
This could impact significantly in the quality of life; the current approach is to hide it rather than deal with the problem “oops moments happen” when the reality it is a very treatable condition. The urinary problem can present itself in the following manner:
- Urine frequency
- Waking up to go to the toilet at night
- Stress incontinence
- Overflow incontinence
This usually happens as a combination of effect of hormone depletion on vagina external genitalia in addition to pelvic floor dysfunction. Atrophy of the external genitalia and vagina with lack of muscle power in the pelvic floor will result in:
- Painful intercourse
- Possible episode of non-intentional incontinence
- All the above will result in stress and anxiety around sex and inevitably lack of libido
Pelvic dysfunction can often cause problems with your bowel and the following issues may arise:
- The feeling of incomplete emptiness
- Difficulty opening bowel
- The need to open bowel frequently
What causes pelvic floor dysfunction?
It is a combination of physical trauma during pregnancy and childbirth adding to it the natural ageing process.
Ageing process will result in gradual atrophy, significantly reduced thickness of external genitalia and vagina with significant reduction of function glands in the vaginal wall. Another factor to bear in mind the reduction of muscle mass in pelvic floor which will compound all these factors.
How can your pelvic floor be rejuvenated?
Pelvic floor dysfunction is a very treatable condition, usually though the use of biofeedback and physical therapy. Seeing your physician if you have any symptoms of pelvic floor dysfunction can provide treatment for this often-debilitating condition and improve your quality of life.
- Biofeedback this is non-painful non-surgical technique that can treat almost 75% of all pelvic floor dysfunction
- Medications: prescribed muscle relaxant or some time topical hormones to improve the health of the vagina
- Relaxation therapy: could in simple relaxation session, yoga, neurolinguistics practice
- Surgery: once the stage of prolapsed one of the option will be surgical, but as I mentioned earlier an early intervention better than later intervention. Surgical approaches has its downsides.
Latest From Our Blog
Quit Smoking in Glasgow - If you’re reading this it’s because you’re a smoker and you are thinking about stopping. Ultimately we only move in a certain direction for one of 2 reasons. Away from pain or towards pleasure. Using these principles, I have developed a...read more
Weight Loss in Glasgow - As you look ahead to 2018, think about how the ideal version of you could look and feel. As you picture this new and improved you, ask yourself what the single most important thing you can do to manage your weight, restore your health and take...read more
One Session to Quit Sugar - As you imagine the year ahead, think about how you would like to look and feel to be the best version of you? More importantly, ask yourself the following: What is the most significant step you could take to impact your weight, shape and...read more
I had a fantastic massage from Donna today. Totally professional and made me feel very welcome and at ease. I really liked how she asked me what scented oil I wanted with my massage.Was a nice personal touch! The pressure was good- firm as i like it and I left there relaxed, feeling pampered and wanting to book another asap. Thanks again Donna !Klaire Louise Kampbell